This simple stone, chapel covered by a wooden shingle room is adjacent to the Old Church, and was built in 1800. The Gąsienica Chapel is the oldest sacred building in all of Zakopane. The chapel was funded and built, by Paweł Gąsienica. Supposedly, he built this chapel when he was young, and in his old age, he believed that in building the chapel he would pay his debts to God. Only God Himself, and Paweł know the real reason behind him building the chapel. With the blessing of Bishop Tarnowski, the chapel was blessed and priests were able to celebrate mass there. Pawel Gąsienica, and his wife Regina, gave their fortune to the church, and were buried under the threshold of the chapel. Suppo sedly, their burial began the oldest cemetery in Zakopane. The original furnishings of the chapel are not kept inside the chapel itself. Today’s chapel interior was designed by Antoni Kenar in the 1950’s. From that point on, the patron saints of the chapel are St. Andrew Zorard and St. Benedict.