Tourist Card Zakopane
Download the app
Otwórz

Download App

apple app store google play store

Albertine Nun Hermitage in Kalatówki


In 1898, the founder of the Albertine Brothers Religious Congre gation, Brother Adam Chmielowski, began building a small, wooden chapel by the road leading towards the Kalatówki Clearing. It was meant to be a hermitage for the homeless from Kraków and other large cities. Count Władysław Zamoyski leased the land to the Albertine nuns and they also executed a transfer so that they could build the chapel and convent. On December 14th 1898, Father Kazimierz Kaszelewski blessed the church and named it Holy Cross. The main altar has a crucifix that was given to Brother Adam from the Pauline nuns from Skałka Church in Kraków. The Albertine brothers lived in the hermi tage until 1902. They built another hermitage on Śpiąca Góra and gave the other hermitage to the Albertine nuns. Next to the hermitage, the brothers had a home built for the chapla in that was also built for the hermit, Brother Adam. The architect of the hermitage and the chapel, was a good friend of Chmielowski during their times of study in Munich, Stanisław Witkie wicz. These buildings are built in the Zakopane style and in line with the charism of the congregation. Pope John Paul II visited the nunnery on June 6th 1997, after he visited Kasprowy Wierch.